Tuesday, June 10, 2008

So I Think I Can Be the Mole


Me and reality TV just don't get along. Never have, and considering the newest bash of trashy concepts, we never will. But that doesn't mean I don't have a soft spot for quality programming. There are some reality shows that I'm completely and utterly obsessed with, to the point where I check discussion boards on a regular basis. Shows that I'd be willing to debate with anyone on their awesomeness. Every year, while I passionately despise 95% of the reality programs, there are always one or two exceptions. From Murder in a Small Town X to America's Next Top Model (Damn those modelathons), I found programs that actually entertained me.
And this summer, I'm not embarrassed to admit I've fallen for two shows: The Mole and So You Think You Can Dance. Of course, I've been obsessed with both since their initial run, but that doesn't make me any less excited to see a new batch of contestants. With the Mole, I can't help but play along with the players, developing my own theories on the deceptive contestant (My money's on Craig, for the record.) And sure, no one can replace Anderson Cooper. But I still get excited during each execution without the steel fox.
With SYTYCD, I'm living vicariously through the dancers. I can't dance for shit. But I can appreciate the talent on the show. And even though I rooted for David Cook, American Idol doesn't have anything on the performances and quality of the show.
As much as I hate reality TV, everything is ok in moderation.

No comments: