Sunday, June 15, 2008

Mad About These Men


Considering the recent cover story in EW, I'm still surprised when I run into someone who hasn't heard of AMC's Mad Men. As an avid fan of the show from the first episode last summer, I still can't quite fathom why America hasn't fallen in love right along with me. And maybe it has to do with AMC, specifically the fact that it doesn't have the advertising of the major broadcasting companies. Had it not been for TV Guide, I would never have tuned into the highly-stylized show.
But with season 2 premiering July 27th, I've begun a word of mouth campaign, hoping to pull as many of my friends to appreciate one of the best shows on TV. The look and tone of the show, with clothing and props from the 50s and 60s giving it an authentic feel, should be enough. But the show is so much more than just advertising men womanizing their co-workers. Its so much more than booze and cigarettes. The characters, from the deceptive and dark Don Draper to the ignorantly ambitious Peggy Olson, are never purely good or bad, just interesting and complex. And the story has never come off as cheap, but rather completely realistic and true to the times. The rise of female empowerment has begun to develop, as Peggy becomes a junior copywriter and Don's neighbors deal with the single mother who recently moved in.
And did I mention the show is so damn pretty?

No comments: