Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wishing I'd Never Come to the End

I've learned not to ever believe the hype when it comes to literature. Considering the New York Times actually considered Curtis Sittenfeld's Prep one of the ten best books of 2004, I've been wary of critics for some time. But two books have blasted any expectations I could ever have: Marisha Pessl's Special Topics in Calamity Physics and Joshua Ferris' And Then We Came to the End.
Special Topics is about the relationship between a college professor and his daughter, Blue as well as the girl's experience with a selective group of students. The novel is filled with annotations and drawings, as Blue writes the story in the form of a lesson plan. Littered with hundreds of references to all forms of pop culture, Pessl creates a Noir story with a contemporary feel.
And Then We Came to the End is a book centered on employees in an advertising agency who are coping with downsiding. What struck me most about the novel was how well Ferris was able to utilize the first person plural narrative. By talking in terms of "We," I somehow felt that I was gossiping about the latest person to be given the boot right along with the rest of them. For anyone who loves the Office or Office Space, this novel is a gem.
Although the two don't have a single thing in common, save superb writing and wicked humor, both have easily become favorites. And I've been even more impressed by the fact that the novels were the first for both authors. It gives me hope, not only that quality literature is never fading, but that writing a good book is possible before 30.

No comments: