Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Desperately Seeking Comedy


What happened to American comedy? Once, we were considered the elite. From the Three Stooges to Mel Brooks to Billy Wilder, everyone else attempted to emulate the American standard. In TV, we're borrowing from England every chance we get. But even worse is the state of comedy in film. I hardly recognize the supposed funny films the US has been putting out in the last few years. And this summer is no exception. With the Love Guru and You Don't Mess with the Zohan leading the pack of cringe-worthy movies without any smart humor, I can understand why a few of my friends have become obsessed with British programming. And I'm right there with them. Give me someone original like Russell Brand over a desperate Adam Sandler any day.
However, I won't dismiss all American comedy. I've become a loyal fan of Seth Rogan, especially after Forgetting Sarah Marshall. But for the most part, the most commercial comedies have been utter duds (I'm looking at you Will Farrell.)

No comments: