Sunday, April 5, 2009

Seriously?


The numbers are still coming in tonight, but Fast and Furious has been shattering records left and right. Best opening this year. Best April opening ever. Best opening for the franchise.
I'm happy for the actors, who haven't exactly had the best success after they first filmed The Fast and the Furious in 2001. Sure, Michelle Rodriguez was on Lost and Vin Diesel attempted to continue as an action star, but neither of those panned out. Paul Walker hasn't been much more than a pretty face. Granted, I've enjoyed Jordana Brewster on "Chuck," but it's only a recurring role.
On the glass is half-empty side, I'm amazed that there were so many people ready to rejuvenate such a questionable franchise. When I saw the trailer months ago, I thought it was some weird prank by Universal. Somehow, the film studio finally got a sense of humor and chose to delete the "the's" in the title to pretend it was a brand new film. But alas, not so much.
I get the appeal of mindless action films. I've never enjoyed them, but I do understand the American need to watch things blow up. It's just interesting to think that in the times of a recession when hundreds are losing their jobs daily, this movie made 75 million dollars in three days.
That's America for you.

No comments: