Friday, March 21, 2008

Emo Line of the Week


I have a confession to make.  I love emo music.  The moment I hear those whiny, depressing, and ridiculously morbid lyrics, I'm sold.  As long as they don't kill any semblance of joy in the room, they provide for a good laugh. And I'll admit it. Sometimes those exaggerated lyrics describe just how I'm feeling. Granted, I've never really wanted to "cut my wrists and black my eyes" (Thank you Hawthorne Heights), but you get the idea. With that being said, I want to celebrate all that is emo. And thus, I give you the first installment of "Emo Line of the Week."

The Spill Canvas- "Battles"
It's like one thousand papercuts,
Soaked in vinegar.
Like the battles with yourself,
That leave you insecure.


The Spill Canvas does have a way with describing their anguish in the most uplifting similes. No, it isn't enough to say something is painful. Instead, they paint a lovely picture of burning your bloody hand on the acidic liquid. Who wouldn't sing along?
And here's an added bonus just in case you were doubting their emo-ness:

From "Polygraph, Right Now"
I bleed confidence from deep within my guts now
I’m the king of this pity party with my jewel encrusted crown

No comments: